Wednesday 22 September 2010

London Fashion Love Letters: Orschel-Read

My very dear Emmi,

This might be the last, last letter I write to you. I have been enjoying myself with your updates, especially whilst queuing to get into another catwalk show. It's such a relief to know there are other people out there (and those standing in front of and behind me) who suffer for fashion. God bless you and I pray we'll meet again in London in half a year's time.

But, before we bid farewell, I've got you Orschel-Read, the last ever show I attended this year at London Fashion Week.

When I was informed (by the PR) that Orschel-Read's SS10 piece was worn by Lady Gaga, I couldn't anticipate more for his brand new catwalk show at LFW SS11. Sadly, perhaps I was expecting for too much, the show titled "The Spy Who Becomes Me" did not quite hit the right note.






The collection toying the quintessential James Bond glamour, displaced onto an adolescent physique, fuses several manly styles, such as safari, military and playboy. Suits, jackets, coats appear in cotton and dupion silk and are paired with bamboo fibre knit and wools. Trousers are high-waisted referring back to James Bond's golden era.





Some of the silk pieces and printed shirts, I admit, are eye-pleasers.





Despite my ambivalence to Orschel-Read's collection, I find his suits and tuxes to die for.






With its fine tailoring, harsh silhouette, structural shoulders and some modern twists on the collar, all mellow into one boyish man's body. This subtle struggle from boy to man shows some real attitude implicit in the collection.

And, to view the entire collection, check out my VDO clip.

It's time to say good bye now. I hope you enjoyed your shows at LFW.

Mwah! Mwah!
Perm

No comments:

Post a Comment