Wednesday 18 November 2009

Fondazione Prada Book Launch

Last night I was at Bond Street's Prada for the "Fondazione Prada" book launch.

The boutique was transformed into a rather funky space with hundreds of book sleeves on the shelves, mannequins in the exclusive S/S 10 resort collection, green neon lights and loud music. It was packed with fashion designers in the likes of Mr Chris Kane and Mr Aggugini, artists, celebs, socialites and media peeps, eye candy servers, and surprisingly friendly bouncers! I didn't spot anybody worth bragging about - just one actor I admire who turns out to be more camp than I. Isn't that great? Bah!

Well, well. I was there for the Book.
Very briefly, Fondazione Prada is a collaborative project between Muccia Prada, Patrizio Bertelli and Germano Celant with its focus on the trio's shared interest in fashion, design, art and architecture. And, this book, a.k.a. the "Bible" for Prada fanatics, "retraces and represents the multivalent aspects of Prada" from 1995 till present time.

Yes, the book is very thick, gilded with tons of images. I was really excited that I would get to peep at, sniff, caress it at last.
I (and Mr D) spent the rest of the evening chasing trays of canapes - pan-fried foie gras, juicily grilled steak, roast lamb with mushroom jus, seared scallop with risotto nero, etc. The food was LUSH!!! The drinks were alright - mid-range champagne, cocktail and non-alcoholic pear juice. The last one was especially for an alcohol light-weight like me.

Not drinking much was actually a smart idea because half-way through the night the queue for the loo - there was only one unisex loo to share - became much longer than the queue to get into the boutique.

And, the look on pretentious people's faces when they're on the verge of pee-bursting is just ... priceless! LOL

As for the book, I managed to grab my lovely Sandrine, the Bond Street store manager, and using my being a decade-long loyal customer trick, started pleading for a free book. Sadly, the trick didn't work this time. Sandrine says these books only come in very limited edition and are priced at £90 each. What a mercenary bitch!

... Muccia Prada, I mean, not Sandrine :(

On the way out, a thought came swiftly into my head. Maybe I should just break into this glass boudoir and steal the book from these two discerning ladies.
Yet, looking at the beefy bouncers, I'd rather NOT.

No comments:

Post a Comment