Friday 20 November 2009

The Lady in Very Bright Colours

Guess what, I am not talking about SS Editor-in-Chief.

'Tis she "JULIE VERHOEVEN" .. the one on the right!
On the left is Angelique from MU where Julie's latest exhibition "Man Enough to Be a Woman" is housed. She rivals Julie in her loveliness :-D

Back to Julie, she is an artist, fashion designer and icon. She draws, paints, makes this world a much brighter and lovelier place! Julie had her own label Gibo, which had much enticed SS Editor-in-Chief, but sadly, it was closed down.

Enough said, I feel you must have come across Julie's works, if not from LV, Mulberry, Versace, Galliano, from the "Interview" SUPERSWEET published a week or so ago.

So, why am I babbling about her now? Well, I am just back from her book launch (why are people so keen on book-launching this week?). The book, titled "A Bit of Rough", is a compilation of Julie's illustrations currently exhibited at MU. For you who haven't been there, having the book in your hands is kinda great in a sort of way that speeds up the process of you booking a cheap flight to the Netherlands! Here's a sample.
"Like A Player" Courtesy of MU/ZINGERpresents

There's a bit of a twist at the book launch, of course. By that, I don't just mean free booze but Julie's limited edition "A Bit of Rough" and the complementary short film.
The books are as colourful as the rainbow. Some are playful and quirky; others dark and raw. My shitty phone camera hasn't done them justice at all. They're reasonably priced-not like them Prada ones-considering that there are only 40 of them available!

I left quite early - I had an engagement elsewhere- and I noticed a few copies had flown off the shelves. If you want one, ring up (or visit) Donlon Books 210 / Shop 3, near Bethnal Green Tube, for more info. If they're sold out, I'm happy to auction my copies off at a very, very nastily high price :-P

PS: A copy of the Prada Book landed on my door this morning, complimentary of Sandrine. So, I'm taking my previous bitching back.

No comments:

Post a Comment