Saturday 31 October 2009

Halloween Melancholy

I'm sitting here, waiting for stuff to upload and 80s Matchbox's song 'Puppy Dog Snails' popped into my head, so I've put it on. I'm not sure if it's a coincidence or not that it's a Halloween night. For a good several Halloweens in the past I could predictably be found at 80s gigs, watching their powdered ghouly faces beat the crap out of themselves.

It's been 5 years since the album The Royal Society came out and I'm only beginning to really appreciate how ingenious that album is, there isn't one song I don't love. I don't know how they could sing words like "What do we do with a puppy dog's tails?" or "I will get that piece of pie," and still sound like they're coming to chop your foot off.

Every now and again I fall in and out of love with these guys. It's because I love them too much so I just end up hating them (dropping out of our Launch Party and not telling me was a good example). But I see new bands that are clearly influenced by them and probably have seen them a hundred times; that makes me miss 80s Matchbox circa 2004 a lot. With their new album is coming out next year, I wonder if it will be just as good, but whatever it is, I can't wait for all that live madness once (or more) again!

Happy Halloween kids!

PS: That's the favourite live picture I've ever taken by the way!

No comments:

Post a Comment